Other Household Tips
If you have a compost pile, avoid using the garbage disposal as much as possible. Add vegetable scraps to the compost pile; give meat scraps to pets.
Install a faucet aerator on the kitchen tap.
Check for water leaks by turning off all water-using appliances in the house. Read your water meter. Wait 30 minutes and reread the meter. If the meter has changed, you have a leak.
You CAN reduce the amount of junk mail you receive (which is about 1 1/2 trees' worth each year). To do so, send a request that your name be removed from selected lists to:
Mail Preference Service
Direct Marketing Association
6 East 43rd Street
New York, NY 10010
Your name will continue to be added to mailing lists as you use your credit cards or make mail order purchases, so this method will be most effective if you send a request to the MPS periodically. Remember, some of the junk mail that comes in can be recycled at the RECYCLE DELAWARE centers (see Recycling).
Household Hazardous Products - Alternatives
- General Cleaner - Mix vinegar and salt. Dissolve 5 Tbsp. baking soda in 1 quart warm water. Or use baking soda on a damp sponge. Baking soda will clean and deodorize all kitchen and bathroom surfaces.
- Rug Cleaner - Mix 1/2 cup mild dishwashing detergent with 1 pint boiling water. Let cool. Whip into a paste with a mixer. Apply with a damp sponge. Wipe suds. Rinse with a mixture of 1 cup vinegar to 1 gallon lukewarm water. Let dry.
- For Red Wine - Apply salt immediately
- Spot Removers - For Set Stains - Dab with white vinegar
- For non-set Stains - sponge up or scrape off as much as possible immediately. Rub with club soda followed by cold water.
- Butter, Gravy or Chocolate Stains - Dab with a cloth dampened with a mixture of 1 tsp. white vinegar and 1 quart cold water.
- Furniture Polish - Mix 1 tsp. lemon oil and 1 pint mineral oil.
Mix 3 parts olive oil to 1 part vinegar. Apply and polish with a clean soft cloth.
- Moth Balls - Set cedar chips, newspapers or lavender flowers around closets.
- Deodorizers - Pour baking soda down garbage disposal for garbage disposal odors. Sprinkle baking soda over entire carpet and vacuum after 30 minutes.
Return to Table of Contents