Skip to Page Content
Delaware.gov  |  Text OnlyGovernor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
 Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
 
 
 Phone Numbers Mobile Help Size Print Email

DNREC : Division of Fish & Wildlife : Delaware Private Lands Assistance Program

Delaware Phragmites Control Cost-Share Program

Do you have undeveloped wetlands on your property, such as tidal or nontidal freshwater or brackish marshes, ponds or impoundments? Are they being taken over by Phragmites? The Division of Fish and Wildlife may have a program for you! The Phragmites Control Cost-Share Program provides technical and financial assistance to Delaware landowners who are interested in marsh restoration programs.

New Castle County
2430 Old County Rd
Newark
832-3100

Kent County
800 Bay Rd, Suite 2
Dover
741-2600

Sussex County
408 N Dupont Hwy
Georgetown
856-3990

What is the Delaware Phragmites Control Cost-Share Program?

 

The Delaware cost-sharing phragmites spraying program being offered by the Delaware Division of Fish and Wildlife is intended to improve wildlife habitat in wetlands that have been degraded by the pest plant phragmites.The Division’s research has shown that effective phragmites control is possible in many areas with consecutive late summer (August through mid-October) applications of glyphosate-based aquatic herbicides. The DE Division of Fish and Wildlife and the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) recently decided to partner to utilize the federal Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP) money. This partnership will enable the financial assistance to be increased so that state and federal money will cover 87.5% of the cost, with the landowner contributing the remaining 12.5% (about $5 per acre treated).

The Division will be responsible for purchasing the herbicide, determining the herbicide application timing and rates, coordinating the aerial spraying and providing technical assistance.

How do I qualify?

  • Must have a minimum of 5 acres of phragmites and a maximum of 200 acres to be spray treated with herbicide.
  • Must agree to have the property treated for three years.
  • Drainage-ditches are Not eligible.
  • Must inform the Division of property boundaries and agree that the Division and its agents are not held liable for any damage that might accidentally occur on their property due to spraying.
  • Assistance is on a first come first serve basis and a mid-summer application deadline

How do I Apply?

The State portion of the application is available by clicking here. The federal portion of the application can be obtained at the appropriate County USDA Service Center based on where the property is located:

Thank you for interest in this Program any questions please contact: Bill Jones 284-4795

 

Last Updated: Friday October 13 2006
site map   |   about this site    |    contact us    |    translate   |    delaware.gov

The Official Website of the First StateState of DelawareDelaware Facts